Call us

Tier 2 - Work Permits


Skilled workers with a job offer from a UK based employer can apply under Tier 2 of the Points Based System.  Tier 2 also applies for ministers of religion, sports persons and employees of multi national companies who are being transferred by an overseas employer to a skilled job in a UK based branch of the organisation (Intra Company Transfer).

In order to apply under Tier 2, you must have a job offer and a Certificate of Sponsorship from an organisation that is a licensed sponsor in the UK.  You can only have a job offer if you will not be directly displacing a suitable settled worker.  The sponsor must meet the requirements for the category you are applying under and accept certain responsibilities.  You must not own more than 10% of your sponsor’s shares if the sponsor is a limited company unless you are applying under the Intra-Company Transfer category.

Under Tier 2, any Skilled Worker must score:

  • 50 Points for attributes, which include having a sponsor, a valid Certificate of Sponsorship, qualifications, future expected earnings. 
  • 10 Points for English language skills (except for certain Intra-Company transfers. 
  • 10 Points for maintenance (funds). 

If successful, applicants will be allowed to live and work in the United Kingdom for three years or time given in the Certificate of Sponsorship, plus 14 days, whichever is the shorter.

An extension can be applied for and will normally be granted for two years or the time given in the Certificate of Sponsorship plus 14 days, whichever time is the shorter.

After five years, you can apply for settlement (Indefinite Leave to Remain).


The sports visa category applies to elite sports people and coaches who are internationally established at the highest level of the relevant sport. They are required to obtain endorsement from the sport's governing body to obtain sponsorship. The immigration process must be initiated by the sponsor. This means that the sponsoring organisation must apply to the UK Border Agency in order to be granted a licence. The sponsoring organisation will then give the sponsor certificates to the applicants who will then apply for UK entry clearance or leave to remain in the UK.

Please see UK Border Agency website for up to date information. The information reflected above is correct at time of publication only.

(c) 2020 Gerald UK Immigration & Legal Services Ltd.