Call us

Tier 5 - Temporary Workers

Youth Mobility and Temporary Workers 

Tier 5 visas cover cultural exchanges, working holidays in the UK and specific temporary employment opportunities including professional sports people or professional musicians who want to come to the UK to participate in a specific event such as the Olympics, a football match, or a concert.

Temporary workers who want to come to the United Kingdom for a short period to work for a licensed sponsor can apply under Tier 5 of the Points Based System.  At the moment, there are specific arrangements for creative workers, sports persons, charity workers, religious worker, those on a government authorised exchange or working under an international agreement.  If you only want to come to the United Kingdom for 12, or at the most 24 months, and have a licence sponsor, we can assess whether this is the best way forward for you.

Other Workers

1. There are several other categories open for those wishing to work in the United Kingdom, namely:

2. Sole representatives of overseas firms. 

3. Representatives of overseas newspapers, news agencies and broadcasting organisations. 

4. Domestic workers. 

These categories are currently being reviewed by the Home Office and changes are likely in the very near future. 

Tier 5 has six categories:

  • Temporary creative and sporting - for people coming to the United Kingdom to work or perform as sportspeople, entertainers or creative artists for up to 12 months.
  • Temporary charity worker - for people coming to the United Kingdom to do voluntary, unpaid work for a charity.
  • Temporary religious worker – for people coming to the United Kingdom to work as religious workers. Duties may include preaching, pastoral and non-pastoral work.
  • Temporary government authorised exchange – for people coming to the United Kingdom through approved schemes that aim to share knowledge, experience and best practice.
  • Temporary international agreement – for people coming to the United Kingdom under contract to provide a service that is covered under international law.
  • Youth mobility scheme - young people from participating countries who would like to experience life in the United Kingdom

Please see UK Border Agency website for up to date information. The information reflected above is correct at time of publication only.

(c) 2024 Gerald UK Immigration & Legal Services Ltd.